8.09.2004

Problem #1 with the War on Iraq

Hopefully this will turn into a series where the number gets crazy high, but on to our inaugural problem with this war and why it's BS:

You haven't seen a single coffin with an American flag. The media has been blocked from the port at Dover where American bodies are received on our shores. And they've also been blocked from the ceremonies going on at Arlington National Cemetery.

This is a problem. During Vietnam, both of these things were clearly visible on TV every day, and certainly contributed to the years of protest. The kind that involved things on fire, every college campus in outrage (though that part was clearly for different reasons), and the occasional person getting shot in a riot. Yep, the Iraq war's got none of that going on either.

[Edit: This caught a lot of people off guard and I realized that I wasn't being clear. So I'll post a comment I made to make sure everyone's on the same page:

The point of that paragraph is protest. It practically doesn't exist in this war. In Vietnam, on the other hand, it was the polar opposite - it was so ubiquitous that it turned violent at times.]


This is a real problem.

1 Comments:

Blogger blake said...

Ah. Bad job on my part conveying what I wanted to say. My apologies.

The point of that paragraph is protest. It practically doesn't exist in this war. In Vietnam, on the other hand, it was the polar opposite - it was so ubiquitous that it turned violent at times.

Hope that makes more sense.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home