9.28.2004

S. 2560

This is total bullshit. Blake messaged me about this a couple of hours ago, and I responded and hope that all of you do the same. The gist of it all is in this letter that I just wrote to John Cornyn. (Yes, I know it's over the top, but I'm trying to drive it home to this guy.)

-----------------------------------------------

Mr. Cornyn,
I am writing to you as a very concerned constituent regarding the INDUCE Act (S. 2560). Allow me to say this clearly:

This cannot be allowed to pass.

There are numerous reasons why this clearly would be bad for the American people, American software and hardware industries, and American business in general. This is an obvious breach of our God given, fundamental right to free speech. I believe in the Bill of Rights just as the founding fathers did, and I hold it sacred, First Amendment and all. This goes beyond the scope of placing restrictions on free speech, it places restrictions on our American businesses.

In a time where so many are concerned with outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries, why would we want to shoot ourselves in the foot in giving up our position as world leaders in innovative technology and the digital sector? We don't, and I know that you can see that. Restrictions on technologies in this manner have proven to be nothing more than tragedies for consumers here and in other countries. Take a look at the way telephone companies used to operate. There was total stagnation until other companies were allowed to make telephones for use on the big companies' networks. Now we have an array of brilliant products that tapped into a very profitable market, and everyone benefited. If we clamp down on one of America's most vibrant business sectors, we condemn ourselves to mediocrity and will be losing out on big bucks. And that's only the beginning.

The RIAA/MPAA is forcing the hand of the government on this one, and I am counting on you, Senator, to watch out for me and my countrymen on this very important issue, because I am a voter, and I am angry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home